Updated: Sep 6
It is proven that Americans spend billions of dollars on teeth whitening, including at-home products, and the market does not make it an easy choice with so many different products you can buy to get those pearly whites you desire. The problem, besides spending a lot of money on teeth whitening products, is that these products contain chemicals and bleach. Many factors can cause your teeth to turn yellow: food and drinks that can stain your enamel, plaque buildup, genetic reasons, and eroded enamel. There are many options to get whiter teeth without breaking the bank and causing harm to your teeth.
So, here are some ways to naturally get whiter teeth: 1. Brush with baking soda: Baking soda, which at this point is any DIYer’s favorite item ever, is used in so many ways to make natural or homemade products while combating issues that can arise around the house. Baking soda has natural whitening properties, which is why it is a common ingredient found in many commercial toothpastes. Baking soda helps to scrub away stains and can create an alkaline environment in your mouth. This prevents bacteria from growing which can cause plaque and a yellow color to the teeth. As you use baking soda more often and consistently, it will gradually result in whiter teeth. Use baking soda a few times a week to brush your teeth by mixing a teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of water. 2. Oil Pulling: Oil pulling is a traditional remedy that improves oral hygiene, and also helps to remove toxins from the body. To do this, you can swish a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth first thing in the morning for 15 to 20 minutes, and spit into a container or garbage. Oil pulling removes bacteria from your teeth which can help get rid of plaque and whiten the teeth. In some cultures, like traditional Indian culture, sunflower or sesame oil is more often used. Most people prefer coconut oil because of the taste and the many benefits of coconut oil, check out our blog on coconut oil to learn more! Oil pulling won’t cause your enamel to erode and is safe to do daily!
3. Apple cider vinegar is another product that can be used for almost any DIY project, such as a natural disinfectant and cleaning product. The main active ingredient in apple cider vinegar, acetic acid, kills bacteria, and the antibacterial property makes it a great alternative for cleaning and whitening your teeth. Apple cider vinegar mimics a bleaching result on your teeth without causing harm to them. However, it is also shown in studies that acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can cause erosion to your enamel over time so it is not recommended to use this alternative teeth whitening method every day. It is also recommended to use it as a mouthwash and dilute it with water, swish in your mouth for several minutes and rinse with water afterwards.
4. Certain foods can be helpful with whitening your teeth. It is even believed that rubbing fruit or vegetable peels such as bananas, oranges, and lemons can help remove plaque from your teeth. Another way to get pearly whites is by mixing strawberries with baking soda. The malic acid in strawberries helps to remove the discoloration on teeth and the baking soda helps to remove stains. It is recommended to only use this method a few times a week, and it is best to smash the fresh berries and combine with baking soda and brush the mixture on your teeth.
5. Another method includes using activated charcoal, which you can typically buy in a powdered form and brush it onto your teeth. Be aware that this will turn your entire mouth black and will get really messy! This is believed to pull toxins from the mouth and help remove stains from your teeth. This can take about two weeks to see results and is recommended to do twice a day.
6. Prevent stains before you get them: There are some ways you can prevent yellowing teeth including reducing your consumptions of coffee, red wines, teas, and sodas. Also, remember that it is important to brush your teeth often and floss at least twice a day. Limiting sugar intake can also help keep your teeth white, and getting plenty of calcium will keep your teeth strong. By making these small changes, you can keep your teeth white without breaking the bank to buy expensive teeth-whitening products.
7. Lastly, turmeric can actually help to whiten your teeth. Yes, we know that turmeric is known for causing yellow stains, however, it does the opposite on teeth. Turmeric is known for its many medicinal properties, and it is also abrasive which is why it helps to whiten teeth. The DIY recipe for making turmeric toothpaste is 2 parts turmeric powder to 1 part coconut oil and 1 part baking soda. Mix these ingredients together to form a paste like substance and store it in a cool place. Put the paste on a toothbrush and brush your teeth with the turmeric paste for two minutes and rinse well with water afterwards. Be careful when using this paste since it may stain clothing, skin, your toothbrush, and anything else that it comes into contact with!
There are many ways to naturally whiten your teeth without spending a lot of money on products that may end up doing more harm than good to your teeth. Naturally whitening your teeth can be more cost effective and won’t cause additional health issues.